Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Job Stuff

I've been at my job for 3 years! My work anniversary is Sept. 6, so 3 years and 3 days. This job is so different from the job I did for nearly ten years at NYU that I am constantly rethinking it. Usually every six months or so, and that tends to fall in September and February. Why? I don't know.

I gave myself a reprieve from re-thinking my career because I'm on maternity leave and often sleep deprived.

But, despite the reprieve it seems my cycle is just that - September and February I start thinking about my job.

Last night when I was falling asleep I was trying to think about what else I would want to do. I don't mind fundraising and I really love certain aspects of my job, but I don't feel so settled in my job. I often feel like I'm trying to prove something to folks when I talk to them about what I do. Like that my job is not"just fundraising." (It's not, by the way, I do a ton of program development and alumni relations.) (See?) As if fundraising isn't good enough?

Anyways, I was thinking what other job would be cool?

And I thought what about a high school teacher? I could teach communications, or non profit management or fundraising even. Then I could have summers off and be like the cool teacher where everyone stands on their desks to see things from a different perspective.

I mean I did originally want to be a professor, remember? And I did teach at NYU for a couple semesters, right?

Stand and Deliver, man.

What do you think? I'm probably not cut out for it, huh?

2 comments:

Randi said...

Not cut out?! DAFUQ?

You, my amazingly talented and smart and tall and beautiful friend can be and do whatever you want.

I think teaching sounds amazing.

Nancy gurl said...

I will take the class if you are the teacher.

GO GO GO GO