Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Buy local

When I was reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Babe kind of wanted to murder me. It's all about trying to minimize the amount of travel your food has to do to get to you by eating local.

Right? Because if your peach is flying from Ecuador, it's probably not very fresh anyways. Also think of the jet fuel and pollution.

Anyways, I live in California so a lot of this is somewhat moot because our food doesn't have to travel very far in most cases. Except for bananas, but I digress.

I laid off the local thing a bit (I was becoming a little psycho), but I do have a farmers market a five minute walk from my house every Saturday morning. With all the fruit we consume in my little family, it makes good sense to make the trip.

Like this past Saturday, when me and Buddy walked over and purchased our strawberries, peaches, zucchini, grapes and onions.

How self congratulatory was I, then, when peaches from Trader Joe's, Costco, Ralph's and Food 4 Less were all recalled this week because of possible Lysteria contamination. Gross dude. Peaches! UGH is nothing sacred?


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ha! I remember your Animal Vegetable Miracle phase. And Babe wanting to murder you. I also remember my phase and Stephen wanting to murder me. And yet Barbara Kingsolver is happily married. Riddle me that.

Randi said...

Good job, hippie.