Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

I was raised Catholic and we always honored Lent by "giving something up" and not eating meat on Fridays.

We also had what we called "the Sunday rule" which meant that you could eat what you gave up on Sundays. I don't think this is a common practice, but it totally worked for our family.

Over the course of my childhood, I gave up things that were hard, like candy, to things that were stupid, like banana cream pie. I remember one year, my sister gave up watermelon. Which isn't in season.

Anyways, I'm not religious anymore and am beyond a lapsed Catholic. But, I do enjoy rules and giving things up. This forty day period offers a perfect chance to do just that. A few years ago, I gave up candy. Then, some time later, I upped the ante by giving up beer and candy. And for both of those occasions, the Sunday rule was not in effect.

This year, I have decided to give up both beer and candy but with the Sunday rule guaranteed to come into play. And, Babe, Buddy and I are going to Tahoe in March, so I will be drinking beer then, Sunday or not.

Weee!

3 comments:

Ang said...

i'm not giving up anything.

Randi said...

I feel like I should broaden this by saying sugar and alcohol. I'm feeling very Christ-like these days... very prone to suffering. LOL

Ma said...

That was one of the funniest blogs; I laughed out load at the part about your sister giving up watermelon. Most who know us know which sister it was.
Love, Ma