Monday, December 17, 2012

My thoughts


Sometimes, I have to get my thoughts out on current issues,  as you all know. And I don’t want to do it on Facebook, so you will bear the brunt of it here.

I've never been sadder by anything that has happened in our lifetime. Except maybe Katrina. But even that I could think about without crying uncontrollably after a short time. Not this.

On the issue of gun control – yes. Let’s ban more assault weapons and crazy machine guns. As someone on Facebook put it, there are already so many out there it won’t make that much of a difference. Well, I say it another way, there are already enough out there so let’s stop making and selling them. I don’t care about the 2nd amendment, to be honest, and even if you ban crazy machine guns all those “gun enthusiasts” will still have plenty of guns with which to shoot birds and people.

Another thing I read was: I wish access to mental health care was as easy to come by as access to ak47s. I agree. Let’s work on that as a nation.

But here’s the other thing I can’t get out of my head. When I thought of all of those sweet babies and their devastated parents and community my mind kept turning to the drone attacks our country routinely launches against the middle east and all of those children’s deaths for whom we are responsible. And how is there not more outrage against that? Look, I’m just saying it’s worth examining our foreign policy a little bit if we’re thinking through these domestic issues.

Another thing – people say they don’t want to politicize this event. It is political. Talking about and thinking through difficult issues about rights and freedoms and public health and safety especially at a time when our failings as a society are staring at us in the face and searing us through the heart is exactly the time to do so.

Good morning. Weekend pictures to follow.

Love
Cod. 

No comments: