Thursday, November 08, 2012

Punk Rock

Last night, Babe and I watched a documentary called "The Other F Word" about punk rockers who become fathers. (Father being the other F word. Get it?) I'll let the Variety review speak for me, because as you know, I'm no movie reviewer.


"The Other F Word is a raucous, eye-opening, sad and unexpectedly wise look at veteran punk rockers as they adapt to the challenges of fatherhood. To be sure, watching foul- mouthed, colorfully inked musicians attempt to fit themselves into Ward Cleaver's smoking jacket provides for some consistently hilarious situational comedy, but the film's deeper delving into a whole generation of artists clumsily making amends for their own absentee parents could strike a resonant note with anyone (punk or not) who's stumbled headfirst into family life." 

- Andrew Barker, Variety

You know what it was? Sad. The music was so good and it was in a lot of parts funny. But it was also super sad to watch these guys be on the road 200 days out of the year, skyping with their kids, and just feeling so burnt out. But, more than that it revealed these guy's relationships with their own fathers and how those relationships led them to adapting their punk rock personas. Deep.

It focused on a lot of bands but in particular, Pennywise, which I have been a fan of  for 20 years now. I remember seeing them at the Ventura Theater in the early '90s. And then countless timez with Babe. 

So, if you like punk rock, check it out. 

There. That was my review. 

1 comment:

Randi said...

Really, really insightful, Codfish. I'm glad it hasn't come to us skyping with Brad yet. See how I made that about me? Yeah. It's a gift. You're welcome.