Thursday, October 11, 2012

On working downtown

So, it's sort of interesting to work "downtown" here in a LA for a number of reasons. First, let me qualify that by saying I work as far west as you can downtown, so I skip much of the traffic but also most of the benefit. For example, there are some seriously good restaurants downtown but they are nearly a mile from me. There is also Walgreens and Rite Aid on every corner - also ten blocks away.

We're sort of in an outpost here, which again isn't bad because I do miss a lot of the traffic. And I bring my lunch anyways so what do I care about restaurants. I do have free parking if there is ever anything I want to see or do at the Staples Center or LA Live, though.

But, boy are there a lot of CRAZY PEOPLE down here. Yesterday, for example, I was driving out of my parking garage and waiting for a pedestrian to cross in front of me. He was homeless, sure, and had a wild look but what are you going to do right? I still have to wait for him to cross! He locks eyes with me, I lock my door. He starts hollering at me and banging on the hood of my car. Then, he walked away.

This morning, there's a lady in a wheelchair rolling by me as I make my way in to the office. Also homeless, sure. She says, spare change? I say no. She says "You hate helping disabled people. I hope you get struck by lightning."

Have a good  morning folks!

2 comments:

Randi said...

You do hate the disabled! LOL

Christine said...

Wow! Sounds like Philly..