Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Recipes: Salad Trio

We had an impromptu BBQ on Saturday which featured a Sausage Fest (bratwurst, hot dogs and chicken pesto sausages) and three salads! Here are the salad recipes, with my adaptions:

Bonita's Broccoli Salad
BFF gave me this recipe in my book of recipes from when I got married. I've never made it before! It was my favorite of the three.

  • 1 head broccoli - just the flower parts
  • 6 to 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion, sliced very thin
  • 1 cup mayonnaise, I used reduced fat of course
  • 1/4 cup red wine  vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup of mushrooms
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Shredded carrots, a couple of handfuls

Mix together the salad dressing: the mayo, sugar and vinegar. 
Mix together the veggies, add the dressing, salt and pepper and chill. I added the carrots and thought there were a nice touch. You could probably get away with less sugar, too. YUM! I omitted the bacon and mushrooms, because we had a vegetarian in attendance and, frankly, I prefer my bacon crispy and whole, not mixed into salads getting all wilty. 

Black Bean Salad
This recipe is from Simply Recipes, my favorite place to get recipes. Click here for original. I omitted the jalapenos because there were lots of kids at the BBQ, and I omitted the fresh basil because I was lazy. I added more like two limes worth of lime juice. 


  • 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained 
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (I used canned. Whatever.) 
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions or shallots
  • 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 whole pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
  • 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I used random tomatoes from my garden.) 
  • 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks. (I used one and a half.) 
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime) I used two limes worth.
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

METHOD

1 In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil.
2 Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes and lime juice.) Chill before serving.

Cucumber Salad with Mint and Feta
Also from Simply Recipes. Click here for original. I ate this one the second day for lunch and it was even more delicious. YUM! 

  • 1 lb thin skinned, mild (non bitter) cucumbers, such as Persian, Armenian, or Japanese cucumbers, thinly sliced. You might also try it with English cucumbers. I used English Cucumbers. 
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch long segments
  • 2 or 3 red radishes, thinly sliced
  • 10 mint leaves, thinly sliced
  • White vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • 1/4 pound feta cheese
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper

METHOD

In a medium sized bowl, gently toss together the sliced cucumbers, red onion, radishes, mint leaves with a little bit of white vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Right before serving, sprinkle on crumbled bits of feta cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 4.



1 comment:

Randi said...

I had a vegetarian at my SAUSAGE FEST. LOL

And I find the bacon doesn't get very wilty in the salad if you add it just before serving.