- This weekend we went up to Big Bear! It's only about two hours east of here. It is really unbelievable to me that in two hours we can be at 7000 feet elevation in some beautiful mountains.
- We shared a wee cabin with BFF and her family. The kiddos had fun playing together and we totally just relaxed. Babe went snowboarding and had a good ole time. As you can see by the pics on BFF's blog we drank about 40 beers. That's hard work people. Hard work.
- My three jobs are busting my butt a little bit right now but that's a good thing. I've got more to do than time to do it in, so all I can do is keep on working on stuff!
- It's already the end of January! I like days with 31 days in them, they feel more complete somehow.
- I just talked to my landlord. He's an 80something year old japanese dude. We're always yelling at eachother. But only because he can't hear.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Friday, January 27, 2012
Thursday, January 26, 2012
First of all, Hi!
So I have been at UCLA for only a week or so and I have tried a number of ways to get the six miles from home to office during rush hour. Today and yesterday I tried the.dreaded freeway, because I literally live a stone's throw away (is that how that is written?) from it. Like when I drop buddy at daycare, I am staring at the wall of the freeway.
Anyways, daycare to parked in 20 minutes. 20 minutes. That is nothing you guys. I am literally chilling in the subaru, drinking my coffee and writing to you guys with time to spare.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Obama killed it in the State of the Union.
It was a great speech - heavy on the gambling metaphors, heavy on the RahRahAmericaGetIt!, heavy on the as President, here's what I can do and all of you squabbling over the republican nomination can just keep doing what you're doing, I'm going to keep running this country.
I wish he would have been doing this all along - you know?
He started with talking about how things were when when he took office - how the previous administration lost 4 million jobs and in the last 22 months he has gained 3 million jobs, how they got us in this mess and he's been slowly getting us out of it. But, at least he's doing it now. Right?
I'm going to find some time this year to do some campaign work for Obama. I love him and I'm proud of him as our president.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
- This past weekend was a pretty nice and chill weekend. Friday we just hung around here and watched a movie. We're getting pretty good at this whole watching movies thing! That's at least two this year!
- Saturday, Babe took Buddy to her little swimming class and I worked. Then, we went to dinner at a restaurant right around here called The Wood. The food is pretty good but the real draw is that they have excellent and delicious beers on tap for $3 during happy hour. Which is from 4-7, which is really the only appropriate time (4pm I mean) to take a toddler with you to a restaurant. Anything past 6 and you're messing with people's date night.
- Sunday, the in-laws came over and we went out to breakie. We took the Buddy to Denny's for her first time and judging by the way she ate everything in sight, it won't be the last.
- We watched two stupid football games. UGH. Patriots and Giants. Even if I lived in NYC still I would be annoyed. I guess this is how the rest of the world feels about the Yankees, but I love the Yankees so I don't feel that way. Inconsistent? You betcha.
- I managed to get a lot of work done this weekend without feeling sad about it. When I was in my 20s I worked practically every weekend, to get ahead and stay on top of stuff. Around the time I turned 30 I pretty much was over it. Now, that I'm trying to prove myself at new jobs I can see I'll be doing more of it again. So far, so good.
Monday, January 23, 2012
- Raining here today which means people drive very poorly.
- More importantly, it means there ought to be some snow on the mountains which is where we're going this weekend!
- I've been watching the American Idol try outs. I love them. I never really watch the whole show - I mean don't get me wrong, I have in season's past, but like the last time I did I think it was Ruben Studdard or something like that? But boy do I love the try outs. And I think J-Lo is just so pretty it hurts me to look at her.
- Part time in the office, part time consulting for two organizations means I'm working a lot. And do you hear me complaining? No and you won't. Not for awhile anyway. I'm so happy to have a job where I am meeting interesting people and doing interesting work. My blog schedule is screwed up though. Tomorrow I should be able to toss a numbers at you in the am. We'll see.
Friday, January 20, 2012
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
- What a nice three day weekend! Ang came up yesterday and I took advantage of her being here to organize my closet so I can get ready to work outside of the home! I've been averaging two days a week with meetings, so that means I've been wearing those same two outfits every week and the rest of the week jeans and black tshirts. So, I now know what I have to wear to work in an office. It will start three days a week this week, then in mid-march go to five days a week. Chances are good I'll have a meeting at USC at least one of those other two days a week until then, if not both days. BTW last week was a productive and terrific work week. It feels great to meet with people and talk to them instead of just working in your house at the kitchen table. Not complaining!! Just saying.
- Had some peeps over to watch the Green Bay Packer game on Sunday. Made some wings, two kinds. That sucked though. The wings were good. Aaron Rodgers apparently has been too busy making commercials to practice his sport I guess.
- Friday and Saturday we did the date swap with our pals who live around the corner. Friday I went over to their place and "watched" their two babies. Which really meant sit on the comfy chair, read my book and drink a beer since their babies were snoozing soundly.
- Saturday, we dropped Princess Buddy at their place at 5:30 and went out to dinner at City Tavern in downtown Culver City. I'll probably yelp it later and link to the review. Beer was good, food was aight, service was hit or miss. We had a GREAT time though. After we returned home, we tried watching Hangover 2 but that movie is just not good.
Monday, January 16, 2012
Friday, January 13, 2012
Thursday, January 12, 2012
- Work has been going great.
- Buddy is sleeping a lot better.
- The weather is ridiculous.
- My house hasn't quite realized the holiday season is over. It's sort of mostly put away, but there are still signs of Christmas here and there. Random tree needles on the ground, stray ornaments here and there.
- I officially snore. I get so tired that I just pass out and snore like a man. Babe asked me the other day if I was dreaming of lumberjacks. Because I was sawing longs. Sigh.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
- This past weekend, the first of 2012, was terrific. Babe took buddy to her first swimming lesson and boy oh boy, imagine the cuteness.
- I worked out during that swimming class and boy oh boy imagine the shock to my body! Was the best 8 minutes of my year. Just kidding, I worked out for longer than 8 minutes.
- We took an hour long walk on the Ballona Creek bike path on Sunday. It was in the 80s. So you know. Hot.
- On Friday night, we decided to try to go out to dinner and it was pretty successful! The buddy is almost big enough to sit for one hour, but we took her for a few walks to stretch her out a bit. We hit up Casa Sanchez around the corner for some sit down mexican food. It was a little fancy! Dang! The food was absolutely delicious.
- We watched at least two football games, and as you know the only good one was the Steelers v. Broncos. I am no fan of Tebow, but I hate the Steelers so there you go.
- On Saturday, we drove the forty-five minutes to go see Babe's oldest friend and his lady wife. We dined in Aliso Viejo along with literally every other person who lives there. The mega entertainment complex in which we found our dinner is exactly what you think of when you think of Orange County. No less that fifty restaurants, a movie theater, a Barnes and Noble, PetSmart, and on and on. The food was very good, though. We ate at a Peruvian restaurant and there was live music and lots of other people with babies. Thumbs up!
Friday, January 06, 2012
Thursday, January 05, 2012
Wednesday, January 04, 2012
Tuesday, January 03, 2012
I'm always a little jealous of those beautiful food blogs that feature giant pictures of their food taken with real cameras instead of phone cameras. So, I used the Canon to photo the Strata I made on Christmas morning. I hope it looks beautiful and not gross. Here's the recipe, with my adaptions of course. You can find the original here.
Monday, January 02, 2012
- New niece and nephew joined the family
- Moved to California with Babe and Buddy
- Ruben & Joaquin's wedding in DC
- Buddy's first birthday party in Brooklyn
- Celebrated fifteen years together with Babe.
- See my and Babe's family frequently.
- Complete the 39 mile breast cancer walk in Santa Barbara in September.
- Get more sleep.
- At least once a month, enjoy some outside southern California specialty. The beach, a hike, whatever.
- New York City in June
- Big Bear this winter
- Wisconsin in the summer
- Finish my USC project.
- Secure full-time employment in the fall (hopefully at UCLA?!)
- Use my time more efficiently. Less email and facebook, more getting stuff done.