Tuesday, August 30, 2011
- is laundry day.
- we are also running errands: peet's coffee to use my gift card, bed bath and beyond to get a full length mirror, culver city library to join the library.
- things I do every day: apply for two jobs (I try) and take two walks.
- Tomorrow I have a meeting at USC with the guy who is in charge of the Lusk Center. Let's hope this goes well and I leave with a job offer. Ha! Yeah right.
- I went to the park with GUS and buddy. It was a beautiful day and we played and walked around in the sunshine. I also applied for one job and took two walks. And cleaned up the house.
Monday, August 29, 2011
- It was amazing this weekend. Hot, but not too hot. 80s I suppose. Shiny sun, low humidity.
- I was somewhat obsessed with Irene coverage, as I was thinking of all my peeps back home. I felt SO MUCH BETTER after watching NY1 online. Hearing Pat Kiernan and Kristen Shaughnessy give an update on Irene made me feel prepared and like I knew what was really going on. The NYTimes coverage was muy disappointing.
- As you know, we had quite a few guests upon moving into this place, and as such, we have a wide variety of artifacts from these visitors. We have one plastic "contigo" water bottle, one pair of man chonies, one pair of argyle socks, one polo shirt from Banana, one sweatshirt, one set of camping gear. I'm drinking out of the contigo water bottle, that's what made me think of it. And wearing the man chonies. Just kidding.
- Buddy is 14 months old today! Eat that, America! (What is wrong with me?)
- We did three things on Saturday: costco in the morning pre buddy's first nap, Babe's company picnic post buddy's first nap, then she slept on the way to Long Beach where we saw Cin, Omar and Santi. What a fun old Saturday!
- Yesterday, we did two things (mainly): farmers market in the morning with GUS, then we went to the Culver City festival where we ate an Indian taco.
- I also went to the coffee shop for three hours on Sunday morning, redid my resume and applied for three jobs.
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011
Thursday, August 25, 2011
- 1 9-inch pie shell (see pie crust recipe for homemade version)
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)*
- 2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer. If you are using a homemade crust, freeze the crust first, then line the crust with aluminum foil and pre-bake it for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
- Tuesday is laundry day. I made that up. See how I do that? Last Tuesday, my sister was here and she helped me get all the laundry done. So I'm going to see how I do on my own today. Being that I still have a basket of clothes to fold from last week I don't have a whole lot of faith but I will make this my goal and I shall make it happen.
- I think I'm going to make a tomato pie. Again, we'll see.
- I have an informational interview with Century Housing here in Culver City. Gonna get my housing on. Grown Up Sasha is going to watch the buddy, bless her heart.
- I joined the Y, took buddy for a swim, and went to LAX for the first time. I mean the first time I drove there. I've been there a lot of times. It took 8 minutes to get there from my house. Picked up GUS and her man. You? What did you do yesterday?
Monday, August 22, 2011
- This post is brought to you by the number one.
- On Saturday, we went to Oxnard for Queso's first birthday party! His actual first birthday is on Wednesday.
- We had so much fun! We played and played. It was BFF's first fiesta in her new house and it went off without a hitch.
- Although I promised to continue introducing buddy as a one year old, I've had to say she is thirteen months or almost fourteen months because I've been talking with parents who have babies around the same age. I can't break the code, guys.
- We crashed in Oxnard and drove home on the one, in less than one hour.
- Yesterday felt like our first Sunday at home. We drove around a bit, went to the grocery store, watched the Yanks, Babe did stuff outside. It was awesome.
- I'm still waiting to hear back from that first interview I had, but have applied to a few more gigs since then. Nice! I'm not in too much of a rush because the Little Buddy and I have so much fun together it is close to impossible to put it into words.
Friday, August 19, 2011
Thursday, August 18, 2011
- We're gonna run around a little bit and do errands. I might go to the Culver City Y and see if there is something for me and the buddy to do, so she doesn't get tired of just playing with me all the time. I'm actually not really worried about that because of the amount of visitors and family we've had over the past weeks, but next week is looking a little sparse, so I should probably try to get her around other peeps. Who the heck knows? I make this stuff up all the time.
- Tomorrow Santi and his parents are coming up from LBC and Uncle Ois is coming down from the bay. We are going to play in the backyard, and eat and drink and be merry. I just love it.
- Yesterday was our 8-year anniversary. Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes! MIL and FIL watched the buddy during the day so I could go have meet with this lady from USC who knows a lot of people. And then after we put the buddy to bed, they held down the fort so we could go out to dinner.
- Did you hear me? Babe and I went out to dinner. What I mean by that is, we went out, sat at a table, ordered food and wine, ate it and talked to each other. About the food, about the wine, about his work, about my meeting with the USC lady, about living in California, about the buddy, about the weather. Whatever. We talked to each other, outside, in the real world. I wore my new jeans and put make up on.
- Did you hear me? I put make up on. Yeah. You heard me. And not just lipstick either. Ha!
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
- Weather, farmers markets, visits from aunties and nephews, family birthday parties, samosa house, pals.
- Ice cream from Thrifty.
- BBQs in the backyard.
- Thinking about finding daycare for the buddy.
- The buddy's total disregard for drinking milk, and still drinking formula even though that shit is expensive.
- Dude, my heels from walking around in flip flops for ages. Sorry but it's true.
Monday, August 15, 2011
- We went to Long Beach for Omar's 30-something birthday on Saturday! What a neat party with all sort of awesome people to talk with. We only stayed for an hour or two but it was a super fun party.
- Then on Sunday, we had BenBen's sixth birthday party! Wow, he was so cute all dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow! And there were two cakes. And there were a lot of kids and really nice people in attendance. It was a nice day.
- On Friday night, we spent the evening in our backyard, grilling and drinking beers with three pals from NYC, one who has recently relocated to the Bay Area! It was so much fun, I was so happy. We played about four games of darts. Ha! Rad.
- With the NYers (Simon and Courtesy), we watched this clip about forty times: SNL Digital Short featuring Michael Bolton. Oh how we laughed and laughed.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Friday, August 12, 2011
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Monday, August 08, 2011
- The Buddy is somewhere in her thirteenth month. I still call her a year.
- Today, I had my first interview in nine years. I probably interviewed about five hundred people at my last job, but haven't had to sit through one in ages.
- I probably got about two hours of sleep last night. Not only because I was nervous (because I was) but also because a spider took up residence in our smoke detector. Member what I told you about living in the country? Yeah.
- Me folks cane up last night so they could watch the buddy for my interview. Very nice to have the parental units close. They aren't they only two, either. Auntie came on Friday, the in-laws will probably be here next week or so, and Other Auntie will come up, too.
- Buddy walks all over the house now. Just like a couple of steps, either. She walks from room to room. Ha! She sure is funny.
- We have at least three guests coming up this week, and two birthday parties next weekend.
- Anyway, the job interview went great. I should tell you more about my weekend, but I'm too tired from my two hours of sleep. More later.
Friday, August 05, 2011
Thursday, August 04, 2011
- I just finished reading "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave. You can read the NY Times review here. It's a pretty heartbreaking book about a young woman refugee who is detained in England and then finds her way into a woman's home in the London suburbs. I would kid you here, it's not an easy book to read in that you will be horrified by some of the goings on, but it's also a total page turner and the way the guys writes is really incredible.
- Now that me and the buddy are always driving all over the place, I've been listening to the radio in the car. I learned a new song that I think is just so cute I can't stand it. It's called "Pumped up Kicks" by The Foster People. Have a listen!
- Yesterday, me and Babe watched an hour long documentary on HBO called Derek Jeter 3K which was awesome. I mean, what else do I need to say, really? Watch it.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Tuesday, August 02, 2011
- My pals
- My job
- Graziella's Italian Restaurant
- The humidity
- My one bedroom apartment for the same price as my cute little, 3-bedroom, old school house
- The sirens
- The weather
- The produce
- Being this close to my family
- The ants
- No Hot Bird/No bar with an outdoor space that we can walk to, that they don't care if you bring babies to. (I haven't seen anyway, in my limited time here.)
- The ants.
Monday, August 01, 2011
- Buddy turned a year and a month last week and I didn't even say anything. She's now thirteen months. Per our earlier discussion, however, I'm going to keep calling her a year until she's closer to a year and a half. Then, I'll switch to "almost a year a half." Thirteen months. LOL.
- We had BFF and her familials up from Ox on Sunday. That was very nice. We went to the Farmers Market where money just leaks from my pocket in exchange for delicious produce and home made snacks. I usually spend no less that $40 or $50 dollars.
- We also went to lunch/dinner at Johnnie's Pastrami just down the street from us. It's a cute, old school diner spot with outdoor seating and very nice waiters. The food was good, too! The milkshake was probably the best part. It was a five dollar milkshake, but worth every penny.
- On Saturday, me and Babe and the buddy hit up Chego on Overland. Clearly, Los Angeles has a lot to offer in the way of delicious food and this was an excellent introduction. We had the ooey gooey fries, the beefy t, and the kimchi platter. We stopped in right when they opened around 5:45, so we missed the crowd. When we left, there was a line out the door.
- I've applied for two jobs so far.
- Otherwise, we've been unpacking boxes, making lemonade from the lemons in my backyard, watering the lawn, doing dishes, and going to target at least once every two days.