But, we had all this leftover bread from last week's football playoff extravaganza (because I featured bratwurst on buns and my friend Matt "Guitar" Murphy brought over Chicago classic, italian beef served on rolls.) So we had a lot of big rolls leftover.
Bread pudding is my kind of baking. I used Paula Deen's recipe and adapted it in this way:
- Sort of stale kaiser rolls cut about (I used two of those, plus another italian roll I had).
- Mixed together: five eggs, 1 and a half cup of sugar (reducing the sugar from Ms. Deen's recipe seemed like a good idea), two cups skim milk, a bit of vanilla extract.
- Pour that mixture over the bread, let it sit for ten minutes.
- Poured all that into a baking dish.
- Tossed a pint of blueberries on the whole thing.
- Mixed up a little brown sugar with "a little bit a butta" (say it like Paula Deen, now).
- Baked the whole thing for 35 minutes. Yum, yum, yum!