Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bride's

Every year (semester?) I do a lecture on bridal magazines for one of my old professors here at NYU. When I was getting my master's in communications, I was planning my wedding so used what I was doing at the time to inform my research. Since then, I've gone back to the topic twice a year and gone over it with students. Each semester, I buy a new bridal magazine to update my "sample" and comb through it for interesting pieces.

When I started this research, there was only one study written about weddings. Wedding were sort of an understudied topic. There is just no way you could say that now. There are more than fifteen shows on TV now about weddings - from My Big Fat Fabulous Wedding to (I kid you not) My Big Redneck Wedding.

Anyways, it's kind of fun to do this every year and think about the stuff I used to study all the time (gender, communications, etc.) but now barely think about at all.

2 comments:

Randi said...

It's interesting that something as "racist" or "stereotypical" as Redneck is still ok to use. I just don't think you would see My Big N-word Wedding or My Big Wetback Wedding. Nuh-uh.

And before someone tells me I'm racist for writing what I did above, I'll have you know that most of my friends are ethnic. LOL!!!

Nancy gurl said...

LMAO, Randi

Moment of silence for the good times!