Thursday, January 07, 2010

Ma's Famous Blueberry Dessert

For the first time in about 8 years, I'm not on a diet, folks. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in a free-for-all, eat anything you want. I still eat super healthy as much as possible. But, I've started enjoying something that people who don't diet have enjoyed for many years.

That something is called "Dessert." If you aren't familiar with the concept, dessert is a sweet delicious treat that you eat after your meal. If you happen to drink your extra calories, like I have for years, desserts are few and far between. Well, now that drinking is off the table I have found myself with a few extra calories on my hands. Hooray!

When I was home, I was thumbing through my Ma's recipe book (which is one of my favorite things to do at anyone's house, really). I found the recipe for her blueberry dessert that she used to make when we were kids. I loved it then, so much. Loved it. So, yesterday, she sent me recipe. I made it last night and guess what? I still love it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Here's the secret recipe to Ma's Famous Blueberry Dessert. Enjoy, lucky ducks!

Ma's Famous Blueberry Dessert
Layer one
crush one package of graham crackers
mix in 3/4 cup of melted butter
press in a 9X13 inch pan
bake at 350 for about 7 minutes
cool

Layer 2
mix 4 tbsp milk, an 8oz. package of cream cheese, and one cup of powered sugar. Spread this mixture on top of layer one

Layer 3
Pour 11/2 cup of chopped walnuts on top of layer 2

Layer 4
whip 2 cups of whipping cream with 4 tbsp. of sugar or use 2 packages of dream whip as directed on the pkg, and spread onto layer 3

Layer 5
spread onto layer 4 one can of Comstock blueberry or cherry pie filling

refrigerate for a few hours

3 comments:

Randi said...

This sounds absolutely divine. In our fam we make something similar called a dump cake that is basically white cake mix as a crust and the comstock blueberry on top of it.
Mmm.... dump cake.

Jessicurl said...

Is it as good as "Dad's Popular Chicken Curry"?

Ruby Do said...

Dang. This sounds delicious. I can also endorse the dump cake. My family used to apple pie filling and walnuts on the bottom of a cake pan. Pour dry cake mix on top. Slice up a stick of butter or margarine and place slices on top of dry mix. Bake until its all golden. We also did cherry pie filling mixed with chopped pineapple on the bottom. If I were pregnant I'd be eating some right now with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!