Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Deeply disturbing

I am reading a deeply disturbing book right now. The Road by Cormac McCarthy, is a Pulitzer prize winner (and an Oprah book, I guess!) that came out in 2006. It's a book about a man and his son who walk down a road, in the post-apocalyptic ruin of what is presumably North America. It is awful, bleak, and hopeless at every turn. Why is it curiously compelling? I think because these two are survivors and as they search for food - and I mean there is really no food - there is nothing alive - you want them to (need them to) to find something because you know sooner or later they are probably going to starve to death.

I don't know if you should read it. I'm not done yet. I am about 3/4 of the way through. Last night, I had to get back up from my non-sleep and read a part of the Eclipse book, between Bella and Edward that is nothing short of sheer happiness, so I could go back to sleep.

Read the Times review, then decide. I'll tell you when I finish it.

2 comments:

Randi said...

This was also made into a movie not so long ago with Viggo Mortensen

jeremiah said...

depressing, yes,
but I am loving me some Cormac McCarthy!

I also read No Country For Old Men!

I think the old dude is a brilliant writer.
I wish I could say I'll have time to read something else anytime soon, but...

I probably won't read for pleasure again until I got my Masters!