Friday, December 31, 2010
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Monday, December 27, 2010
- Yesterday was Buddy's first Christmas!
- She's going to be six months old tomorrow. My goodness, how time flies!
- We missed the blizzard in NYC - something like 13 inches of snow and super fast winds. I love a good blizzard as much as the next person but I'm glad we aren't there. It's nice and dry here in Denver and hopefully the weather will clear up in San Diego before we get there.
- Babe got a snow day today! That means he can save one of his vacation days for use later.
- We had no trouble at all with our flight to Denver. I had to woop the United guys butt though because he kept saying we didn't have any seats, when clearly we had an email confirmation showing we had 21D and 21E. Oh United. Pieces of shit.
- Only four more days of 2010. A banner year this one. We'll talk more about highlights later.
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Friday, December 24, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
- Go see the twinsies!
- See SammyOi!
- Babe's coming home early, go get lunch/a Christmas beer with the boys & the buddy.
- Try to find Miss Jessie's hair cream in Brooklyn?
- Who cares?! I'm on vacation!!!
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
- Buddy was watched by the nanny this whole week (well Mon - Wed) and so I didn't have to carry her in at all! I of course love to see her during the day, but man is it ever nice to not have to bring her in on the train in the morning!
- Not much bad right now, though I think I have a lot of work to do and am going on holiday vacay so that might be a challenge.
- I have this funny fake fur hat that I love to wear. It has ear flaps. Every year I wear it at least one time but then forget that I am actually allergic to the fake fur, so my face breaks out in an itchy rash where the flaps touch my cheeks. YAY!
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
- Dry cleaning. I love that we can take anything to the dry cleaner at any time and it will be done in the same day. I've had bridesmaid dresses hemmed in a day, 30 pounds of laundry washed, dried and folded in a few hours, and a whole stack of shirts, pants and skirts dry cleaned in one days time. This, my friends, does not happen in other places. In other cities, probably, but definitely not in San Diego. (I love San Diego, too, but that's not what this post is about.)
- Egg and cheese on a roll. My love for the breakfast sandwich is well-documented on this blog, but it bears repeating. $1.25 for a perfectly cooked egg, with a slice of cheddar on a toasted, buttered kaiser roll with salt and pepper. Delicioso!
- The subway. Yes, sometimes I complain about the subway, but as a New Yorker that is my right. I listened to my ipod, read my magazine, and got from my apartment to my workplace in 24 minutes this morning.
Monday, December 20, 2010
- Princess buddy is on her fourth week of her fifth month. What a grown up little girl!
- This weekend, we went to my pal's baby's first birthday party. What a darling little boy her is!!
- Babe and I had a date! We went to the christmas party. $30 for pre party drinks. $80 for the nanny to watch the buddy. $30 for post party drinks. $36 for a cab ride home. Cost of getting dressed up in a black dress, heels and red lipstick to go on a date with husband? PRICELESS.
- Had a couple of friends over on Sunday to have a toast and some cheese before going to see the lights of Dyker Heights. Get excited for the pictures, people.
- Watched, over two days, Alice in Wonderland, the new one. I liked it just fine but I LOVED Helena Bonham Carter as the red queen. She couldn't be funnier, she just couldn't.
- Got my heartbroken watching the Packers Patriots game. I know I wasn't alone and that two people in San Diego, at least, were also very upset.
Friday, December 17, 2010
Thursday, December 16, 2010
- Work - I have to finish the g-damn spreadsheet of students/supervisors/account numbers.
- Work - review that one document about that one thing.
- Look at my buddy who gets cuter by the day.
- Laundry - drop off and pick up today.
- Post office - go pick up a package.
- Grocery store - need flour, brown sugar, cream of chicken, tortillas, green chilis, cereal, frozen peas.
- Make enchiladas.
- Make brownies.
- A few more Christmas cards.
- Hair appointment at 2pm, Johanna is coming at 1pm!
- Frosted moon for last two kiddie gifts.
- Feed Princess Buddy-face cereal!
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
- I got half of my holiday cards done last night.
- I've got several presents bought but need to buy several more!
- We have our big work christmas party this evening. I'm bringing the buddy, dressed in her Santa hat.
- I am going to a kiddie store today at "lunch" to see if I can purchase a bunch of buddy gifts. My buddy's gift has been purchased.
- I still love our Christmas tree. Probably the best out of any year, though I'm not sure.
- We're going to Ditmas to see the lights on Sunday!
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
I'm busy at home - the buddy takes a lot of energy! Wow! And I still try to cook dinner because how else will we eat?!
I'm busy with the holidays - I really need to get more presents for peeps!!
What else?! Did you see the latest pictures of the buddy? I'll toss one up soon.
Monday, December 13, 2010
- My little buddy is getting big. She's five and a half months now!
- She is waking up twice or more at night. I'm thinking it's because she is hungry! We started cereal this weekend. Hopefully that helps fill her tummy.
- What a weekend! We made a couple dozen cookies on Friday night with the help of pal Courtesy.
- We met the twinsies on Saturday morning!! Got to hold one of the babies! She's so little and so perfect.
- Had three babies in my apartment on Saturday night! What fun. We had a little dinner party - I made two lasagnas, one meat and one veg.
- Had two pals over on Sunday and then a whole other pal over on Sunday night! I love the holidays. It's so much fun to have people over eating christmas cookies, drinking beer and looking at my tree. And holding my baby!
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thursday, December 09, 2010
- Some work.
- Rest up, because I'm still not 100% from CodFlu2010.
- Tidy up the house, put away the boxes that held the decorations for the tree.
- Grocery store.
- Mail pictures to Grama.
- Take pictures of the Buddy.
- Catch up on a few emails.
- Put away the clean dishes.
- Drink lots of nettle tea - boob milk supply is still low from the flu.
Tuesday, December 07, 2010
I'm still drinking gatorade which means I am still sick. I slept a lot last night. Babe had to get up in the dark to go to Baltimore, so he left the bedroom to buddy and I. We slept til 8 in the morning!! I feel like I am still asleep.
I need a manicure. I might got a lunch.
Monday, December 06, 2010
- Buddy is five months and one week old! Ha! How many weeks? Twenty-three?
- It's about thirty degrees outside. Little snow flurries on my way in this morning. That's the first time I've seen snow since last winter.
- What a weekend. I haven't been that sick, well ever. I had a fever, I had stomach "issues," a cough, congestion. ACHES. Ugh. Anyways, I was out for two days. Sunday I was a little better. Three cheers for husband babe who took care of the buddy all day on Saturday and on Friday night.
- We got our arbol de navidad!! It's a beauty. About 7 feet high? It smells so good!
- Did I mention I was sick? With a fever? Not 98.6, that's for sure.
Saturday, December 04, 2010
Thursday, December 02, 2010
- Hang out with the buddy.
- Rest because I am still getting over a cold.
- Dentist at 2pm to get my tooth filled after that root canal from a few weeks ago.**
- See about hosting a coat drive at work.
- Clean off the kitchen table which is surprisingly good at collecting random items. For example: a stack of holiday catalogues, a birthday present for Babe, a tablecloth from Syria.
- Fresh Direct delivery.
- Make dinner.
Wednesday, December 01, 2010
- The whole family slept good last night. I think we're getting used to the heat situation, plus we were exhausted.
- It's not bad, necessarily, it's just that December is here and I've not done an ounce to get ready for the holiday.
- I have a cold. It's the first time I've been sick definitely since having the buddy, but it seems like a lot longer. Ugly are the things that have been coming out of my body.
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Yesterday, a group of us from work went to a play right-by-my-house. In the Footprint: The Battle Over Atlantic Yards is a musical, docu-drama and an easy to watch, interesting play. The Atlantic Yards project is about 22 acres of land just down the street from my apartment and the play also took place in the neighborhood. The play was fast-paced, funny and not preachy even though it was heartwarming at times. I liked it.
I'm reading a nice book of short stories called Woman Hollering Creek sent to me by my sibling and written by Sandra Cisneros. Really lovely collection of stories - I recommend.
Monday, November 29, 2010
- How nice to have four days off! In a row! With Babe and the Buddy!
- Buddy turned five months yesterday, and her papa turned 33 years old!
- We celebrated Babe's birthday by going with about seven people to sushi. He loves the sush.
- We had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner at my pal Courtesy's house. She made dinner for about 14 people. Good lord! Little Buddy was the belle of the ball! She was so darling.
- We really hung out a lot, me and Babe and Buddy. We went for long walks, did housework, made good food, played. I wish every weekend could have one more day, at least.
- Our two pals came over and watched the Buddy so me and Babe could go watch Harry Potter 7 together. What a dream come true!! The movie was top notch.
Friday, November 26, 2010
Thursday, November 25, 2010
- I am thankful for my little buddy, obviously. She is healthy and thriving and the cutest little person I've ever seen. She's also good natured, sociable, and funny. Thankful, thankful, thankful.
- I am thankful for my familials, who live far way but who I see on The Skype and talk to frequently.
- I am thankful for my pals, both here on the east coast and there on the best coast. So much love, and so many strong people who inspire me and also make me laugh. Thankful!
- I am thankful for my job and for Babe's job.
- I am thankful for this dope apartment with the views that won't quit.
- I am thankful for my health, and Babe's health, and the health of our familials.
- I am thankful for the second pot of Peet's coffee that Babe is making for Thanksgiving. Because last night I was thankful for the IPAs they were serving at Amity Hall and now Mama has a little bit of a hangover.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
- The sausage, egg and cheese on a toasted roll I am consuming for breakfast.
- The calories it probably contains.
- The fact that I just don't care - even with the calories I'll be consuming over the following Thanksgiving Holiday!
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
- Sasha is something to the tune of 21 weeks today. She'll be five months on Sunday. Her papa turns 33 on Sunday.
- This past weekend, we went to Nina's in the City. We hadn't seen her since August. She was also the first person Buddy met, besides the doctor and nurses.
- We also watched the California Golden Bears melt down to that team in the south bay. It reminded me of the four years I was in school, that's how we played.
- On Sunday we went to our pal's place who had brewed their own beer. We tried a beer (or two) and it was delicious!
- We put Buddy in the swing, for her second time and our first time. Want to see another picture? OKAY!
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
I finally got used to my CSA, because the buddy is bigger now and I am once again cooking a lot of good meals. During the summer, at the beginning of the CSA, Babe and I were relying on the kindness of others to get fed.
All in all, though, it was as good run, and I'm glad we did it.
This time, I found myself with lots of winter squash and some gigantic leeks. So I made this:
Savory Winter Squash Casserole
- 4 lbs. Winter Squash (I don't know how much 4 pounds is. I had an acorn squash and a celebration squash)
- 1 lb. Ziti, Penne, or Rotini Pasta (I used 1/2 a pound)
- 1/2 C Olive Oil (I didn't use this much EVOO)
- 2 T Unsalted Butter
- 2 Large Leeks*
- 1/2 Small Onion*
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 t Salt
- 1 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 C Water (or white wine, if you have it)
- 1/3-1/2 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2-3 T Fresh Parsley (I didn't have any of this)
1. Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. (You can set the seeds aside for roasting later if you like.)
2. Place the squash halves upside down on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Add about one inch of water to the baking sheet, and bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes, until soft.
3. Remove squash from baking sheet and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Note: you can do these three steps earlier in the day, or the day before and store in fridge. (I did this the day before!)
4. While the squash cooling, cook the pasta in boiling water (salted “like the sea,” Matt says). Cook for 3 minutes less than the cooking time on the package. Then drain and set aside.
5. While the pasta is cooking, coarsely chop the garlic, leeks and onion. Then remove the squash from the skins with a spoon.
6. Heat the oil and butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the leeks, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent but make sure the garlic does not burn.
7. Add the squash and 1/2 cup of water/wine, stirring until a thick sauce is formed. Add extra water/wine as needed to make it thick but not too thick.
8. Fold in the cooked pasta, taste. Adjust seasonings as needed.
9. Spoon into a glass baking dish (or two, if you only have a small one). Sprinkle with cheese.
10. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese browns. Serve onto plates and top with fresh parsley.
Makes 8 side servings or 4 full servings.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Harvest Fruit Salad
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar *I just use cooking sherry b/c I don't have sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. walnut oil
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 pears, 1 1/2 lb. total, halved, cored and diced
- 2 cups (12 oz.) red and green seedless grapes
in any combination * I cut my grapes in half
- 2 green or red apples, such as Cortland,
Delicious, Granny Smith, McIntosh or Pippin,
halved, cored and diced
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sherry vinegar, red wine vinegar, walnut oil, olive oil, salt and pepper to form a vinaigrette.
In a salad bowl, combine the pears, grapes, apples and pecans. Add the vinaigrette, toss gently to coat and serve. Serves 6.
Monday, November 15, 2010
- How old is little buddy this week? Four months and some change. I think 20 weeks?
- Work is work, huh? I've been back now for 8 weeks I guess. I miss my buddy, especially on Mondays but I like the way she's being taken care of.
- Speaking of the little buddy, she slept for eight hours in a row last night, more like she used to sleep. Thank you Jah. Please let this be a habit.
- We hung out, on Saturday, with three friends who all have babies. So there were four babies, four moms and four dads. What fun!
- Sunday we watched futbol and went to brunch with our pal who doesn't have a baby. Buddy slept which was nice of her. The waitress spilled one beer on my pal.
Friday, November 12, 2010
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Tuesday, November 09, 2010
- The buddy is being weatherized. We got a sleeping bag type of thing for her stroller so she can be all toasty. Babe is getting a little suit today that goes over her clothes so when I take her to work she'll be all warm.
- She's loving daylight savings time being over. We got up at five in the morning today! I realize some people, like my sister, do this on purpose. Get up at five that is. Me? Not so much.
- They are doing construction on W. 3rd and so every morning they tear up the street and at the end of the day they put it back together again. It's like groundhogs day.
- How 'bout those Steelers, huh?
- Um, what else? My workplace is starting to feel like my own, I've got pictures up, the desk is all messy, and I've got various baby items strewn about.
Monday, November 08, 2010
- I think my buddy is 19 weeks today! Wow! What a big, grown up girl!
- We had a wee brunch/pot luck on Saturday for my 33rd birthday. It was lovely. About 10 or 12 pals were there, and at least five people brought different kinds of bread. It was a carb fest! I made two quiches, a sausage casserole and my fall fruit salad. Babe made a pumpkin bread.
- On Sunday, we watched 40,000 people go running by our apartment! It was the marathon, people! What fun. We got to see the professional people as well as the average joe's. We hung out outside, took photos, drank coffee. It was a really nice day.
- Then went for a walk up to our pals how are expecting twinsies. Two babies! And gave them some clothes. Cuz boy will they need them!
- Watched some of Harry Potter number six, so now I'm re-reading number seven.
- My buddy has changed her sleeping habits and no longer gets up only one time at night. She now gets up more times than that. I really hope this is temporary.
Friday, November 05, 2010
Thursday, November 04, 2010
- Dishwasher delivery 12:30 - 2:30
- Finish proposal for work and send it out.
- Call with VR & SR at 12:00
- Make Aloo Gobi for dinner, the Commish is joining
- Need the Gobi for my Aloo Gobi, so go to Associated for that.
- Target? It's raining.
- Go get COFFEE ASAP.
Wednesday, November 03, 2010
- I've hit my groove at work - or at least feel like I have a lot to do am being productive. I'm busy but not crazy overburdened. I work solidly all day long and then the day is over before I even know it.
- The buddy was SO CUTE in her Hot Dog I keep looking at the pictures.
- Yesterday, for my beeday, me and Babe had a glass of wine (okay, two) after work! We totally talked to each other about all kinds of neat things, not just the buddy.
- I got to vote yesterday.
- I forgot the bottles that attach to my breast pump. So I'm pumping directly into the storage bags, using a system of rubber bands. Ha!
- Seems like the democrats lost control of the house. Here we go gridlock, here we go.
Tuesday, November 02, 2010
- I dressed Little Buddy's feet like bees today. And she's wearing flowered pants from Auntie Angela so it looks like the bees are pollinating her pants. Hee!
- For my beeday I am going to go have a glass of wine with Babe after work! Gladda is staying until 7. Neat.
- I'm also taking the buddy with me to vote when we get home. Buddy's first election day! Muy importante.
Monday, November 01, 2010
- Little Buddy is four months now. I think 18 weeks?
- Babe put together her crib yesterday because she was fitting in her bassinet perfectly - like a piece of gum in a wrapper. Now, she's about an 1/8 the size of her crib.
- Due to her new crib, Little Buddy woke up four times last night instead of the usual one time. I guess we should've done this on Saturday, huh? So we had Sunday to recover? Silly mommy and daddy.
- Little Buddy's first Halloween was totally magical. Pictures to come soon. Grown up Sasha (GUS) was here for the weekend. She was the relish, to Babe's and my ketchup and mustard. Obviously Little Buddy was the hot dog.
- Friday after work we had a little party for my pal who is having two babies. TWO!
- Busy work week this week. Action packed. And I turn 33 tomorrow.
Friday, October 29, 2010
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Target for RM's party stuff
Target for Cod & Babe's stuff
Dishes - put away clean ones, load up dirites
Pump, one time?
Watch buddy, play together, make sure she takes a couple of good naps
Fresh direct delivery 6-8
Finish presentation about making presentations for work on Friday
Buddy's doctor appt at 2:30 (anybody want to guess how much she weighs? I'm going with 15.7 pounds)
Put away stuff in the bedroom?!
Make chicken in the crock pot for dinner
After buddy's vaccinations, have a beer with Babe. (Soda bar, $3 beers!)
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
- Still pretty stolked on our trip back to the Biggity Biggity Oakland. It was so nice to see the pals and the parentals. I got all teary eyed when the buddy met Samoi. It's just too cute!!
- I'm on gross antibiotics for my tooth problem. Stupid CVS filled the prescription wrong so I ran out of them before the week was up, and had to take a break in taking them! I hope my teeth don't fall out.
- I've got a cup of coffee in my office in my cute Buddy Mug that has been there since earlier this week and now needs to be either cleaned or put into a science lab.
Monday, October 25, 2010
- First time I've ever missed Haiku Friday
- Little Buddy is Seventeen weeks today! She turns four months on Thursday!
- We took her on flights three and four this weekend. We took her to Oakland and saw a lot of our pals. Hooray! She did great on the flight to San Francisco, and the flight home was fine, too. She was a little fussier, but we had a seat between us (THANK GOD) so everything worked out well. It's such a journey to get home from the West Coast. We left the hotel at 645 am and got home at 645 pm.
- Went on our first date in four months because my parents came up and we went out to dinner. That was super freakin awesome.
- Hung out with BFF and her baby, Queso, this past weekend. He's very little, about half the size of my buddy and half as old. There were three babies, total, and one pregnant lady (20 weeks!) so it was very much a portrait in stages.
- Back to work - lots to do! Taking three days off for a conference leaves you sort of overloaded.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
I was reading my trusty NY Magazine on the train yesterday and came across this Q&A with Keanu Reeves where the writer tells Keanu about the internet phenomenon of Sad Keanu.
Apparently the top picture on the right was snapped and all of a sudden became an internet sensation. People all over the place started photoshopping sad Keanu into various pictures and places.
Here's a few funny ones.
Unfortunately a lot of them feature cats so go ahead and just google "Sad Keanu" if you're as grossed out by cats as I am.
Monday, October 18, 2010
- Sasha is sixteen weeks old today! She's such a little champion!
- Work is so very hard. Sometimes I would like just not work anymore. Where's the number in that? I've been here for 8 years that's 1 too many, I think.
- This past weekend, I had a shower for my friend who's having not one but two babies! Hooray! I made two quiches and a delicious fall fruit salad, which I think you'll enjoy. Recipe to follow later this week.
- Watched a couple of baseball games this weekend, too. It was a bad sports weekend all the way around, though. What with the California Golden Bears playing like they were blindfolded.
- Yesterday we took it super easy. Went to the German Beer "Garden" in our neighborhood and also to Habana Outpost for a couple of Sixpoint Sweet Action! Hooray for lovely fall weather.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
- Health food store for: Nettles Tea & Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Grocery Store
- Meet up with Vanessa?
- Take a couple of walks before it rains
- Take a nap?
- Make sure the buddy gets some good naps in
- Comment on SR's contract for work
- Order Fresh Direct for work
- Walgreen's for Saline Drops
- Make something good for dinner
- Clean out the fridge
- Fresh Direct Delivery
- Call Ma
Ingredients to make something good for dinner
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
What it means, practically, is that I can't go feed my buddy at lunch and that I have to pump in some random bathroom in Long Island City. Sigh.
I also found out my day care lady is microwaving the breast milk I leave her. Everything I've read says you can't do that. Does it matter? You better believe I'm spending the 8 minutes I have at my desk (while pumping, of course) to google that.
Last night my buddy slept from 9:15 to 4:00. Thank you little buddy.
At five today, I'm taking the buddy with me when I go talk to a group of students about studying abroad. Should be funny and cute. She's getting so big, you guys. She loves to sit up and she really falls asleep a lot easier now.
I also wonder how much each of her cheeks must weigh. Probably a couple pounds each. Hahahahaha.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
- The housekeeper is at the pad, cleaning it up! Since I'm hosting a shower this weekend that's a welcome treat.
- Little Buddy sure did wake up a lot last night! 2am, 3:30am, 5 and 6! DANG. Mama is tired!
- NY is getting SERIOUSLY ugly right now. We've got a homophobic candidate for governor who's talking a lot of shit in the middle of a serious rash of hate crimes. Enough is enough, people. The year is 2010. If you have a problem with people being gay, you're an idiot. There. I said it.
Monday, October 11, 2010
- Little Buddy is fifteen weeks today. I bet she's about fifteen pounds, too! Ha!
- We went to Connecticut this weekend to stay in my boss's country house. It's about 70 miles away. It took three hours to get there and about two to get back. Princess Howler Monkey really hated the first hour on the way there, then slept for the next two. On the way home, she was happy the whole way. While in the country, we mainly chilled out, took a walk in the town, listened to the Cal game on the radio. Sort of old-timey, except the radio was streaming through the world wide web.
- It's my fourth week back to work. I'm definitely getting used to it. I really like the nanny so that helps. I think about the buddy all the time, though. I think that's okay, too.
- I checked out "restorative yoga" yesterday at my old yoga studio, Bend and Bloom over on Fifth and Sackett. Man, it sure was restorative. You basically do pose after pose of chilling out. Right now it's only once a month but I will be going each time it is offered. It was like packing a whole night sleep into an hour and a half.
- I really need a manicure. It's been at least four weeks.
Friday, October 08, 2010
Thursday, October 07, 2010
- 9:30 Call with Sarah
- Test my strength, endurance and chutzpah by making a trip to Target
- Go through bags of clothes
- Make list of board members?
- Get ready for CT
- Sasha's Halloween costume
- Love up the buddy and take care of her, making sure she gets good naps.
- Mail in recalled Similac
- Take it easy
- Make two lasagnas, freeze one! Need a few things.
Murphy Oil Soap Wipes - behind the column
Milk storage bags
Black Garbage Bags
Frame for Nava's pictures
Frames for desk at work?
Wednesday, October 06, 2010
- Princess Buddy really likes the train. When she's awake, she looks around at all the peeps who can't resist her smiley face. When she's sleeping, the rocking of the train helps keep her sleeping on the way to work. We walked this morning to the C train, because without trying I always leave the house at exactly the same time on Wednesdays and Fridays and always just miss the G. It was a beauty of a morning, crisp and fall like, and Sasha stinkin loves the trees. I love the weather. I think fall is my favorite season.
- It's pretty bad when the only person who offers you a seat when you're carrying an infant is an elderly lady reading her bible. I didnt' take it. I stood above a young man who was "sleeping" the whole way to Chambers Street. It's hard to be tired, huh?
- When the buddy was a little more wee than she is now I was on the subway and carrying all sorts of bags. A seat freed up on the corner, the best for me and her so I can have free movement. The guy who was sitting next to that seat slid over into it, just as I was about to sit down. I asked him if I could there and he rolled his eyes and snorted. So I said, fine forget it, it's just that I'm HOLDING MY BABY. Anyways, he watched his little portable DVD all the way home and I stood over him. Sasha had mad gas that day and kept tooting and tooting all over the guy. Good girl.
Tuesday, October 05, 2010
Monday, October 04, 2010
- My little buddy is fourteen weeks old today! You heard me! Fourteen weeks! What a big girl!!
- This weekend we went down to Sunset Park to a pal's studio on 33rd and 3rd Avenue, deep in Sunset Park. This was a trip-out neighborhood, with lots of live poultry for sale and other strange sights. We were visiting a friend's art studio - a friend of mine from CAL that I hadn't see in about thirteen years, until we ran into each other a few weeks ago. He knit a hat for Sasha. Cute.
- We had over our pals for dinner who are having twinsies. Two babies!!
- We went to Pacific Standard on Saturday and bought our first Growler.
- Yesterday, we got the best tacos I've ever had in NYC. We went to a bodega on 26th and 4th Avenue and ordered six tacos para llevar. But we should have ordered fifty because I could have eaten twenty five.
- Last night, Sasha woke up at 12, 4 and 6. I like it better when she just wakes up at 4. One day, though, I think she'll go all the way til 6. Babe took the 12, by the way.
Friday, October 01, 2010
Thursday, September 30, 2010
- o Play with the buddy, make sure she takes good naps.
- o Feed her & pump once or twice.
- o Put away the clean dishes.
- o Fold the laundry.
- o Put it away.
- o Order Fresh Direct.
- o Make egg curry for dinner.
- o Cut Sasha’s nails.
- o Load Babe’s work pictures.
- o Look at MW's workplan.
- o Email a few work items.
- o Call GUS
- o Lunch with Danish Puerto Rican friend?
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
- Little buddy seems to be feeling a bit better. Either way she slept last night for many hours in a row, so I can't complain.
- I'm wearing a new shirt and sweater today. (Really reaching here, people, for the good, so give me some credit.)
- My attitude in general. I'm not entirely sure what I am supposed to be doing here at my workplace. Except pumping.
- I just went into Third Rail coffee on Sullivan and W. 3rd and I must say everyone who works there had one ugly outfits and had ugly hair.
- Stairway to Heaven just came on my Modest Mouse radio station. I am back to loving Zeppelin, don't get me wrong, but I don't think there is anything very good about Stairway.
- My toenails. Mama really needs a pedicure.
Monday, September 27, 2010
- Dudes! My girl is 13 weeks old today!
- She's on what I think is her second cold? She's all sneezy and congested. She woke up maybe 30 times last night? Okay, probably not that many but it sure felt like it.
- The nanny was 17 minutes late this morning. Not good for me, so I was 17 minutes late to my first meeting.
- It's raining today for the first of two days I think.
- It feels like a long time ago, but the weekend was only yesterday. We went on two stops of a Craft Beer Week bar crawl. We stopped at the Mission Dolores and High Dive. Both had nice outdoor spots. We were with a bunch of people, but more importantly two other babies. Nice to travel in packs when you're with babies.
- Sasha met three new people this weekend (well, probably more, but she was only held by three new people). Two pals from Phillie and one landlord from Syracuse.
- Day one of week two. So very tired.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Thursday, September 23, 2010
- Hang out with the buddy
- Put away the clean dishes and load up the dishwasher
- Make lunches and go see Babe for lunch
- Photograph the buddy
- Put away the new clothes we got from Babe's friend at work for the buddy
- Do several emails for work - already getting behind?!
- Get a few ingredients to make dinner. Sirloin and black bean chili with corn cakes?
- Make sure buddy takes several good naps.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
- Sasha is just a few doors down from me today! I brought her in on the train and left her with Adela the daycare lady. I am going there at noon to feed her. She seems happy and Adela is very, very nice.
- My hair is new and looks very good. I got a new product, per GUS's request. I don't have the name of it committed to memory, though, but when I do, I'll let you know what it is.
- I have a new look, too. Some might say I'm embracing my 80s roots with the sweater I am rocking today. I will let you be the judge. Too bad you can't see me.
- Not much bad, I don't think. So far the week has been okay. I didn't sleep as much last night but I think that's to be expected. It's already Wednesday, too! Work is a little bit crazy. Not much has changed since I left and my partner in crime, Stretch, has fled the coop. That's bad.
- Pumping at my desk all day long?
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
But it's much better today than yesterday. For one thing, I barely cried when leaving her.
I slept a lot last night. She fell asleep at 9:15 and didn't wake up until 4:30. I went to bed at 9:45, so got plenty of sleep. Made for a lot less crying. I put her in our bed at 6:30. She's so cute. I miss her face. She's getting all brown.
Work is going okay. There certainly are a lot of things to do.
My office is really nice. Modest Mouse radio on Pandora is awesome.
I already ate my lunch. Yesterday I ate it at 10am, so doing much better today.
How long do you think I'll last?
Monday, September 20, 2010
- Sasha turns 12 weeks old today! What a darling!
- I go back to work today. We've spent the last 84 days together. I haven't been away from her for more than 3 hours, maybe twice. Today I am supposed to be away for 9. Any bets on how long I last?
- Me and the two Sashas went shopping in Williamsburg on Friday. I got a new bag for work.
- On Saturday we went to the park and the Hot Bird. It was a beauty of a weekend, the weather was perfect in the 70s or so.
- Sunday we put together a wee picnic in Prospect Park with about 6 or 7 pals. It was lovely and kept my mind off the whole leaving my little buddy at home. I've definitely cried a lot and imagine I will cry a lot more.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
- I took the buddy to have lunch with her papa yesterday in the City. We ate at the Biryani Cart in midtown, previous vendy winner. We had some pretty delicious Chicken Tikka Masala over rice, which we ate in Bryant Park. Then we took the buddy to Babe's work so he could show her off. She coo'd and smiled on cue.
- Then I took her to JCPenney's to buy her some pants. Heh. Tiny pants. I haven't bought her a thing since she was born so it was really fun to look around at all the tiny clothes. We've been given so many clothes that I didn't really need anything but I did need some soft, tiny pants since it's turned fall here. (Finally, thank god.) JCPenney's is kind of awesome. Clean and uncrowded.
- Later in the day we went back to Pacific Standard to see if they had more of that delicious missionary-style sixpoint. They had it on cask, but it wasn't as delicious. I mean it was good, but not as amazingly delicious!
- Things are going buck-wild in NYC politics. Some crazy racist, Carl Paladino, is the republican nominee for governor? I guess he's a tea-partier. I sometimes wonder a lot about the citizens of this state, but why should it be any different here than anywhere else?
- Thanks for all the encouraging words yesterday, peeps! We're going to give it the old college try. I just think 12 weeks is too little to have to leave your baby with people who aren't family members. She's so very small. But I won't talk about it right now because we have today together.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Monday, September 13, 2010
- Sasha turned 11 weeks old today! My goodness time really does fly. This is my last week home with her. That stinks.
- We took her on her first trip this past weekend. She took her first car ride in the back of a livery cab, her first flight, her first 3 hour card ride, then did it all again on the way home, except she had her first NYC taxi ride on the way home. She was a total champ. The plane didn't bother her at all. The car ride though, not her favorite thing. She's a NY baby for sure.
- Sasha met her Great Grama. She's Grama's 20th great grandchild. How about that?
- Mom and Dad watched her so me and her dad could get a beer together. We did, but instead of talking to each other we played the video poker machines that were at our station at the bar. We didn't lose much money, a few dollars each. We got to drink a Fat Tire, which as you know they don't sell east of the Mississippi.
Friday, September 10, 2010
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Wednesday, September 08, 2010
- I think we've figured out our childcare situation for my wee buddy when I return to work in just a week and a half. I'm confident that we've made good choices and feel like she'll be with good people who will take good care of her.
- I made a peach pie yesterday. It sure is delicious! Not too pretty though. Ha!
- Going to get a haircut today in the big City. Taking my little monkey with me, and Solanasuarus has volunteered to come hold her while my locks get snipped. I remember doing this for Sun when the Nav was about my buddy's age. Should be interesting. I mean fun.
- My little buddy woke up at least one more time than usual last night (11:30, 2:30, 4:00, 5:00...) and I am tired. One of them (the 2:30 one) was totally my fault. I mean totally. I had this crazy nightmare that I can't even described and kicked my leg out and kicked the bassinet which is next to my bed. Dangit.
- What is with this guy who wants to burn the Koran? Can we try not to piss off the world even more than they already have? If he does do it, which it seems like he is going to, I think no one should film it or talk about it or photograph it. I mean, he's probably planning something, but I don't think anyone else should take notice of it. It's just one crazy fucker in the middle of Florida, right? Let's not make it a bigger deal than it is.
Tuesday, September 07, 2010
- Sasha turned ten weeks old! Ten!
- Babe had a three day weekend and we had a really nice time every day.
- We tried to go to Governor's Island but the line was like and one hour long to get to the island. Forget that! We instead hung out at Brooklyn Bridge Park which was absolutely gorgeous.
- We took Sasha to watch her first CAL game at the Pacific Standard. It was fine for the first half but it was a little too loud, so we left. Everyone cheers every time CAL scores (naturally!) but the final score was something like 50 to 3, so that was a lot of cheering. We need to get those big headphones for her.
- Enjoyed the heck out of the 70 degree weather all weekend long. Took walks, slept in (which means sleeping til 8 or so, HA!), and loved up Brooklyn.
- Went to Ditmas Park for the first time, checked out the Sycamore bar where there were plenty of babies!
Friday, September 03, 2010
Thursday, September 02, 2010
Wednesday, September 01, 2010
- We are in the midst of our fifth heat wave. Today it is going to be 96 degrees with high humidity. I feel like Job.
- Buddy weighs 11.6 ounces. That's exactly perfect. She's so cute. She got her vaccinations yesterday and I managed not to cry. She screamed her face off though and turned all red like a tiny tomato. Babe held her hands and I held Babe. Then we went to Soda bar and had $3 Sixpoint Sweet Actions. Sasha got the boob.
- She then came home, ate, and passed out til 2 in the morning.
- Thank god for payday, huh people? You feel me? Scraping the bottom of the barrel this month.
- We're going to have to take a subway field trip today, me and buddy. It's just too hot to walk around outside at all. Maybe Macy's? Or a museum? I haven't decided which.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
- Sasha turns 9 weeks today. My little buddy.
- She also had her two month birthday on Saturday.
- We went to 67 Burger on Saturday with some pals and ate a delicious burger and drank a delicious beer.
- We bought our tickets for our Christmas trip. I hope this is the last time we need to fly anywhere at Christmas. Set us back more than 1,000 dollars.
- Went to our pals house on Friday night. Stayed out til like 9:30 p.m. You got that right. 9:30! Late night.
- Watched two Yankee games.
- Went to the Hot Bird for Amy's last night in NY. She's been here for six years and is moving to London.
- Got four or five mosquito bites at a backyard BBQ on Sunday.
- Only talked to one member of my family. This is not the norm.