Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oscar Wao

I'm back to reading good book that I can actually talk about here. Hooray! I'm still going to read the crap books behind your back, but at least I'll have something to talk about periodically.

I just finished the Pulitzer Prize winning The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. They don't just give those pulitzers away, let me tell you. This is a tough book - in your face with violence at times, and sad. But it is also incredibly interesting and full of historical facts you think must be true. Or at least are believable.

The Times review says it better than I can:

Díaz’s novel also has a wild, capacious spirit, making it feel much larger than it is. Within its relatively compact span, “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” contains an unruly multitude of styles and genres. The tale of Oscar’s coming-of-age is in some ways the book’s thinnest layer, a young-adult melodrama draped over a multigenerational immigrant family chronicle that dabbles in tropical magic realism, punk-rock feminism, hip-hop machismo, post-postmodern pyrotechnics and enough polymorphous multiculturalism to fill up an Introduction to Cultural Studies syllabus.

1 comment:

Hung said...

I really enjoyed this one. have you checked out /Drown/? Short stories by Diaz in a similar vein, but a little darker maybe.