Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Chickahominy

One of the things we did when we went to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia was eat at the Chickahominy House. This is BFF's meal (and picture. Thanks, BFF!) She had the chicken and dumplings. And, see those biscuits off in the corner there? They were so delicious!

So, in honor of the Chickahominy, and because I had an unopened package of Bisquick Heart Healthy in the cupboard, I made chicken and dumplings for dinner last night. Want the recipe? Here it is.

Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings
  • 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
  • 1 cup frozen green peas and carrots (I used a 10 oz package of frozen veggies, including carrots, peas, corn and green beans).
  • 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken (I used a bit more. See, when I made the chicken for the chicky enchilalas on Sunday, I made two extra pieces, so I could have it for my chicken an dumplings later in the week. Amazing.)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup (Healthy request, of course)
  • 1 cup Original Bisquick® mix (I use Heart Healthy)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • Paprika, if desired
1. Heat 1 1/2 cups milk, the peas and carrots, chicken and soup to boiling in 3-quart saucepan, stirring frequently. Okay - so here, I first sauteed a little onion in some EVOO. Then, I added everything else. Plus lots of black pepper.
2. Stir Bisquick mix and 1/3 cup milk until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 8 spoonfuls onto chicken mixture (do not drop directly into liquid). Sprinkle with paprika.
3. Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.

1 comment:

Randi said...

Can I come live with you and Babe?