Thursday, March 19, 2009

Career Day

I just got back from career day in the Bronx. I talked to a group of 7th graders about how I got where I am in my life. Those kids were so cute.

What I realized as I was talking was that a lot of the great things that have happened to me in my life can be traced back to the fact that I did Speech and Debate in high school. Every other weekend I was out at some high school or another, or college even, competing with other high school speech and debate kids.

This activity kept me out of trouble, but also showed me a lot of the world outside of Oxnard, California. I was able to go to a speech tournament at UC Berkeley and from that moment forward decided to go to Berkeley for college.

I asked all the kids if they'd seen The Great Debaters and all the hands shot up in the air. That was my lead in. They were so little. When you're in the 7th grade you feel sort of grown up, but really? You're 11.

Yay career day!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks so much again, Cood! It was great that you took time from your schedule to talk to the 7th graders. You're the best!

Ma said...

After reading your blog I was remembering some of your speech tournaments that I went to with you. Remember the one that was at a restaurant and you competed against another girl? I remember one of the judges was an attorney all dressed in a suit. I remember feeling quite nervous but you won! That`s my Cod.

I hope some of the kids will go on to get into speech after hearing your talk. You know I was inspired to do Toastmasters.
Love, Ma

Randi said...

I also have the fondest of memories from the Speech. Thank you for recruiting me. And seriously? You kick ass for talking to the kiddos.

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way, show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense of pride....