Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hiring

Do you guys do the hiring at your work? Anyone out there?

I do. And let me tell you, it is one of my favorite parts of the job but also one of the most challenging.

You have to sift through what feels like hundreds of resumes and make decisions based on very little information.

I have a few guidelines/tips that I have compiled over the years:
  • Spell my name right. You'd be surprised how many people who apply to work here don't spell my last name right. Seriously? How do you think that's gonna go over you facking nimrod. (Ooopsie!)
  • Proofread: If you have typos, you are out.
  • Act: Try to act like you have at least some relevant experience.
  • Experience: I don't care what you did in high school.
  • I don't care about your interests. (Dude, skiing? Why would that make me want to hire you? Leave them off.)
  • Make sure you get the name of where you are applying to correct. Again, I realize you're sending out hundreds of these. Let's try to focus here people.
I'll let you know how the search goes.

Dear Ms. Bahoolie:

I'd love to work at the Center for Justice and Security...

4 comments:

Buzz said...

I don't hire folks into the Navy, but I do screen them to work on my team and initiate performance evaluations etc. Most frustrating thing for me is guaging whether the person really wants to do the work or is simply trying to get a "check in the box" for their career path. The latter end up being leadership challenges over the long term and I'd rather not have to deal with them.

I'm taking "Bahoolie" and running with it like Forrest Gump.

The possibilities are endless.

Thanks Cod!

Randi said...

Yeah Buzz said it. Bahoolie it is.

Anonymous said...

Dude - ask tough questions - like:

What was the largest mistake you made last year at work?

If I were to sit down with your current fellow employees, what would specifically would they say you need to improve on?

I once had a kid break out in a sweat - I felt a bit bad, but I can tell you this - I haven't had any bad people come on that shouldn't...

Nancy said...

Bahoolie??????????????????????