We ate at The General Greene in our neighborhood in Brooklyn the other night. It had the best review I've ever read from NY Magazine, so we decided to give it a try. It's also right down the street.
It was delicious. I'm not sure if it was as hype-worthy as the magazine suggested, but it was delicious. I wondered if it was surprise that led them to such a stunning review - a restaurant this good on Dekalb? Perhaps.
Either way - I've got two words for you: Candied Bacon. Like the sound of it? You'll love the way it tastes. This restaurant is a small plate type of place so you get to order a lot of things and share them. Super fun, because you get to try so many things. We had:
- a salad made of edamame, asparagus and mint. YUM!
- a twice baked potato (hello candied bacon, my old friend.)
- Red couscous with walnuts and something else.
- the steak with chimichurri sauce.
- the baked beans (skip em, they weren't that good).
- the deviled eggs. (for free b/c we had to wait so long for our table. Thanks a lot NY magazine!)
- ooh my favorite - an iceberg wedge salad with blue cheese and, yup, you guessed it, candied bacon.
- the prawns (I didn't eat them.)