Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hi Brow/Low Brow

Well, I don't know how High Brow it is, but it's certainly a great book. I just finished reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. Out of the what feels like 50 books I've read in the past six months, this one outshone by far. The story is about a man who is sitting in a coffee shop in Lahore, Pakistan talking to an American. You never hear the voice of the America, you only know what he's saying when the narrator responds to an unheard question. The narrator (Changez) graduates from Princeton at the very top of his class and becomes an incredibly succesful management consultant. But not for long. I won't say much more, but I do think you should read it.
As for Low Brow, last night on AMC, Baby Boom was on. Me and Ang used to watch this, oh I don't know, every other weekend? Why? I don't know. But as soon as I heard the theme song it brought it all back. I'd been thinking about this movie ever since my first foray into Vermont a few weeks ago for D&T's wedding. A picture of where they got married, below!

2 comments:

Randi said...

I love Diane Keaton.
Why have I only read one book since Berlin? I blame the Muppets.

Ang said...

I watch that movie everytime it comes on TV. I'm not sure why we liked it either.