Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kicked out of the blogosphere


I wonder if I'm going to be kicked out of the blogosphere for my lack of interesting updates? Work gets so busy in the beginning of the school year. I wanted to tell you about my home-made pickles that I made last weekend. And my trip to Connecticut.

Last week I read this article in New York Magazine about how to make pickles and so I went to the farmers market on Fort Greene park and got myself some Kirby pickles. Then I went home and sliced them up, soaked them in brine, which I also made, drained them twelve hours later, and then put them in pickling juice for 6 hours.

Last night we had them on our burgers. MMM MMM!!
Here's the recipe:
Ed McFarland’s Pickles
6 small Kirby cucumbers
4 cups water
1 cup pickling or kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 habaƱero peppers
2 cups red-wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/8 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3/4 teaspoon coriander
1 allspice berry
3/4 teaspoon mustard seed

For the brine: (1) Using a knife or, preferably, a mandoline, slice the cucumbers approximately 1/8 inch thick. In a large nonreactive bowl or plastic container, mix the water, salt, and 1/4 cup of the sugar with a whisk. Add the cucumber slices and the whole peppers to the mixture, thoroughly covering them with the brine. Cover container and let stand for 12 hours. (2) Remove cucumber slices and peppers from brine and rinse well with cold water. For the pickling mix: Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, vinegar, garlic, and spices in another nonreactive bowl or plastic container. (3) Add the cucumber slices and peppers. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours before serving. Pickles should last refrigerated up to 60 days.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Dude, niiiiiice!

Anonymous said...

The blog is rocking and rolling - bite your tongue for saying anything negative about it...