Thursday, February 01, 2007

Libros



In this time between classes, I've enjoyed several books. Here they are, in no particular order:
East of Eden, which we don't have to talk about again at the risk of belaboring a point, but would you just read it already? Geez. I don't ask for much.

Also, The Tender Bar, which is a memoir about a kid who grows up without a dad on Long Island. This is a really funny book - like laugh out loud funny. It's also kinda sad, because the kid has grown up without a dad, but for the most part its just a nice, super easy read.

For me, it does beg the question about memoirs and who gets to write them. I am not generally a memoir reader. I love me some fiction novels - a nice rounded out story about whatever the author pleases that can take you out of reality or throw you squarely into the middle of it. Either one is fine with me. A memoir, though, is a story about one person's life. I think important people should write memoirs. But should 30 year olds with good jobs who live in Denver? I don't know, you tell me.

I also finished The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson which is a "true" story about a serial killer in Chicago who murdered all of his victims during the World's Fair. It's a pretty fascinating story because you just can't believe how much he got away with (the serial killer) and what the city of Chicago must have been like during those days. It's big on architects - like Frederick Law Olmsted and other guys - and big on inventions - like the Ferris Wheel. I recommend it for you all geeky types who like to read stuff about cities. One of you in particular might enjoy it, if they ever let you read anything other than law books. You too, dude.

And finally, I'm in the middle of two libros, which I'll just give you the names of and return and talk about when I'm done - one is Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown and the other is The Inheritance of Loss of Kiran Desai.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Thanks for the recco.