Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What I'm reading

I noticed some people have a little box in the corner of their blog that says "what I'm reading right now." I would like to have one of those, but have not, as yet, figured out who to create such a box. In the meantime, I'll just tell you. Okay?

I just finished last night Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin, which was written in 1952. It's about a boy named John's 14 year old birthday. Nearly the whole book takes place inside a tiny church in 1930s Harlem, but through each of the character's prayers we see what their lives were like before today. It's full of sermons because the Dad is a preacher, but it's also written like a sermon so pretty easy to read and engaging, punctuated throughout by "amens" and "hallelujahs."

I am also reading Notes of a Native Son by the same author, but haven't finished it so can't tell you much about it.

And then those articles on what it means to be white. I took down the post I wrote about "Whiteness" because I did not want to alienate my readers and I felt it might have been taken out of context.

Hallelujah.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Does that mean that I'm no longer a winner due to the whiteness?

Nancy Gurl said...

Good Gurl, Caroline. Feel free to throw anything at me to read. I am on thristy for knowledge.
Also can you tell me how to do anything on this blog
ha